Sunday 9 August 2015

July 2015

I've been having too much fun recently and the blog has started to slip behind. So here is what happened in July.

On Saturday July 4th, we paid a visit to Burton Mere Wetlands and then on to Anglesey, basically just to do a bit of birding. We managed to miss the ROSEATE TERNS at Cemlyn, but we saw a few bits and bobs.

juv Little Egret at BMW
On Friday July 9th, we had our first county tick of the year; the much predicted Red-footed Falcon finally landed in Stoke-on-Trent of all places. News filtered out during the previous evening of one being photographed. I left the house at 05:00hrs but decided it was too cool for a Red-foot to be flying so I went to Westport instead. PJ, on the otherhand, popped up before work and found a cracking 1st summer male sat in a field. I was unable to pay a visit until 18:00hrs due to work. It was still present and showing nicely. And it stayed for a few more days. And things started to happen and things went out of control. And it slowly took over our birding lives. I've been asked why I haven't done a blog on the RFF yet. Maybe one day I will. I will tell the whole truth and tell you all of some of the goings on we witnessed. But until then, here one picture for you.

Our good friend the RFF
I paid another visit to Fermyn Wood this year following last years excellent visit. Only a couple of hours of sun, but the Purple Emperors did show well again.


Purple Emperor almost wing two purple wings
A routine visit to Westport on Monday 13th July became un-routine when I checked a bird flying away from me and over the lake. I was faced with the bizarre sight of an Avocet flying around the lake, all at 06:00hrs in the morning. I enjoy making phone calls at the time of day, and CJW was soon down in his slippers and dressing gown. My second, the 4th record for the lake and a lake self found tick for me.


Avocet at Westport. Both pics phone-binned
Due to a request from GAS, we did some birding in Staffordshire on July 18th, and we ended up finding a 5th record for the county. The day started off well, with Red-footed Falcon and Hobby in the bag before 07:00hrs. We sat and rested at Blithfield in the Tad Bay hide sifting through the waders before heading onto Branston. And there we found our 5th record for Staffordshire.
 
Lesser Marsh Grasshopper - first record for the square and 5th for the county

And so ends a quite bizarre month of July. 

Who are you staring at buster?