Monday 8 November 2010

Sunday 7th November 2010

Busy again on Saturday but I was allowed out on Sunday. Not many of the Clayheads Crew were available today, but as I was just leaving Westport, CJW turned up. As soon as I showed him my empty front passenger,I knew he wouldn't be able to resist a nice sit down to rest his weary, tired and weary legs. I planned to visit three sites today. We checked a few of the gravel-pits in the A38 corridor, searching for flocks of Golden Plover to look for the LESSER GOLDEN PLOVER reported recently. Unfortunately, we only saw them in flight. Good numbers of Tufted Duck and Coot were seen. Next stop was Whitemoor Haye for the WHOOPER SWAN that was with 203 Mute Swans. Then onto BGP's. Never know what you're going to get here and today was slightly disappointing. The Sandy Pit was very quiet and possibly had been subjected to some sort of disturbance already. We did have some more Golden Plovers flying around with one smaller bird in the flock (a Dunlin) plus a Ruff, seven Redshank and a Little Egret (my first here since 25th Sept). We also saw a late female Common Darter to go with a Red Admiral that we saw earlier in the day. Last stop of the day was at Blithfield to see the LITTLE RINGED PLOVER that has now become the latest ever record for the WMBC region. It was distant at times but I did manage one or two frame fillers of it plus a stunning video.