Monday 5 May 2014

The rest of April 2014

April didn't quite live up to expectations. I had my first dip of the year, but then when I did some research, I've only had one tick in the last eight Aprils, and that was a resident bird in Bedfordshire somewhere.

Belvide was visited on quite a few occasions between 10th and 12th April. It took me three visits before I saw the GLOSSY IBIS. I also managed to see all eleven Scaup on one occasion too: the Velvet Scoter, Long-tailed Duck and Slavonian Grebe all showed well during my visits here.

Three visits to add Glossy Ibis to my Belvide list



Long-tailed Duck showed nicely

My first dip of the year was the CRAG MARTIN on Flamborough. With ticks very few and far between now, when one did arrive I managed to make two wrong decisions (including a fatal hesitation) over the weekend. Oh well, I will just have to wait for the next one to arrive. At least we had excellent views of the lighthouse while we were there on the Friday afternoon. 

Showing well when we went. 

Evening trips are possible now, and one Friday evening we saw this stunning Wheatear.



A trip to the moors saw several bits and bobs, including this hare and a very nice Red Grouse.


Both photos by Phil Jones

On 4th May 2014, pops celebrated his 80th birthday. He didn't want any presents, just donations to the British Heart Foundation. If you would like to donate anything, just click on the link below.