Wednesday 6 June 2012

Wednesday 6th June 2012 - Derbyshire

While others return to work, I'm still celebrating the Diamond Jubilee all week. PJ and GAS popped over the border into Derbyshire yesterday, and had a fine session watching the Red-foot at Willington. Today, with nothing much else to see, we decided to head back over. There was no news yet on the pager as I presumed the vast majority had returned to work. GAS pointed me in the right direction, but he opted out of the ten mile slog along the banks of the River Trent for the second day running. It actually only took me twenty minutes to reach the pylons. I stood with the other two people on site and I was soon enjoying excellent views of the 1st summer male Red-footed Falcon as it fed over the river just in front of us. It also sat in several of the bushes for quite lengthy spells. It was nice to finally catch up with a male Red-foot, as all my previous one were 1st summer female birds.

The River Trent with the Red-footed Falcon in flight