Monday 28 March 2011

Sat/Sun 26th & 27th March 2011

A quieter Saturday planned for this weekend. Firstly, three hours at Westport saw my earliest ever British Swallow and joint earliest Blackcap. We also had eleven Waxwings over, two LRP's and a Little Grebe flew in. Then it was on to Belvide for a distant Black-necked Grebe that showed right on the far side. No pics sorry.
Then onto Branston GP's for an average visit that saw a par of Mandarins, a Little Egret, Ruff and a few Redshank.




Redshank, Little Egret and Mandarin at Branston GP's

Sunday afternoon became quite pleasant, and so I persuaded the family to go on a walk. They chose a stroll around Westport. As it was a family trip, I didn't take my bins with me (reminds you of a birdforum member hey!). The main path was quite busy so we took a detour into the quieter reserve area. To my complete surprise, I heard Waxwings calling, and soon found 15 feeding in the tops of the trees and a few were flycatching. My only previous sightings of Waxwings were on the estate back in 2005, so these latest sightings were very welcome indeed. Below is a shot taken from my phone.


Waxwings at Westport. Copies of this photo are available to buy

Finally, my male Reed Bunting returned to my garden again, this time briefly perching on my bird table.



Then, amazingly, a female Reed Bunting turned up as well. Must get some reeds sorted for them because there arn't many around in my street