Saturday 9 October 2010

Saturday 9th October 2010

A fairly dull visit to Westport was immediately livened up this morning when I spotted a small dark goose flying straight towards me as we walked on the old gas works. As it turned, I realised it was a Brent Goose - a Westport mega! It carried on flying over us and then turned towards the lake. I phoned PJ up and sped off back towards the lake in case it had landed. Luckily for all, I soon refound it swimming off the jetty and soon the Westport regulars were all descending en mass. Even Mr Westport himself, WJL turned up.

This is the 5th record for Westport.
1989 - One present from 7th to 13th April.
1993 - A party of 12 on 9th February.
1996 - Four present on 19th and 20th November.
2000 - One on 8th November.
2010 - One on 9th October.


It was then on to BGP again today, where a healthy selection of waders on the Sandy Pit included eleven Curlew, a Dunlin, a Common Sandpiper, five Ruff, 22 Golden Plover and seven Green Sandpipers.